Multi-phase renovation of this prominent synagogue designed by Bernard Maybeck in 1925 in association with renowned San Francisco architects Bakewell & Brown. Plant’s involvement started in 1989 with the renovation of the sanctuary and its 100-foot high dome. This was followed by a renovation of the Temple House in 1992 that included seismic bracing, new auditoriums and meeting rooms, a full-service kitchen, entirely new classroom and office spaces, and an exterior renovation. More recent work included refurbishments of the building’s exterior in the early 2000s and renovation of the altar, completed several years later. Work was phased to allow the temple to remain open throughout construction.
Plant returned in 2023 for the renovation of the Temple House Building; to demolish the existing courtyard structure and reconstruct it with an expanded basement; create a new exit; and perform full-scale site work, including rebuilding sidewalks; new utilities including domestic water, fire water, sanitary sewer, gas, internet, and new electrical service.